Happy New Year!!! In my family, that always meant black eyed peas, greens and corn bread. I decided to do Instant Pot black eyed peas and collard greens this year. It is so easy and tasty you’ll probably find yourself whipping it up throughout the year – I know I will!
My grandma used to say the black eyed peas were for health, the greens were for money and the corn bread was to represent coins. A quick Google search just taught me it’s actually all about the money: peas for pennies, greens for cash, golden corn bread for coins.
I’m trying to get back into the swing of NSNG eating (no sugar no grain), so I’m skipping the cornbread this year. I’ll just eat extra greens since the cash is the important part, right?
We usually had cabbage growing up, but I’m all about the collard greens now. (I even like them raw in a collard greens and grapefruit salad!) Cabbage, collard greens, turnip greens and mustard greens will all work in this dish.
Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
- 1 pound bag dry black eyed peas
- 1 pound fresh collard greens (or other greens), washed, hard stems removed and chopped
- 2 32-ounce cartons chicken broth
- 1 smoked ham hock
- 1 onion, cut into thick chunks
- Seasonings to taste: (I used salt, pepper, garlic powder and chili powder)
- Put peas in pot.
- Pour in broth.
- Add ham hock and onion.
- Season with your choice of spices.
- Set to manual for 40 minutes, followed by natural release.
- Remove lid and stir.
- Check seasoning and add more if desired.
- Add greens.
- Push down and stir to get them all in pot. Some may be above the liquid. This is okay.
- Put lid back on and set for 2 minutes, then quick release.
Enjoy and best wishes in 2017!