I now love drinking green smoothies every day. I was able to get my hands on a Ninja blender and I am in love! It hasn’t left my counter top since I took it out of the box!
Tricking picky kids into drinking their greens
I make a big blender of green goodness while I pack my daughter’s lunch in the morning. This is after I make her a smoothie of her own. She doesn’t mind the taste of greens in her smoothie, but she won’t drink it if she can see them.
Dark berries like blueberries and blackberries!
They totally mask the green.
She also likes having banana, peanut butter, chocolate almond milk and protein powder. The chocolate milk also masks the brown.
Tips for the best green smoothies:
Here are a few things I’ve figured out about making green smoothies:
- Blend your greens and liquid first. Then add fruits and ice.
- Change up your greens. I’ve been alternating between spinach and kale in my smoothies. If you get the balance right, you can’t even recognize the veggie taste. It does make it taste clean and fresh, though. And YUMMY.
- Skip the ice and go with frozen fruit.
- If it doesn’t taste right or the texture is off, throw it back in the blender! Add some more liquid and blend again if it’s too think or gritty. Toss in some more fruit it it isn’t sweet enough and reblend. You can’t mess it up. Just tweak it until you get it right.
- Smoothies are most appealing when sipped through a straw.>
- One cup greens, one cup liquid and two cups fruit seems to be a great ratio for a large serving (or two regular servings).
Click here to get my 5 favorite green smoothie recipes!